Thursday 29 May 2008

NYT, IHT and Save Darfur Coaltion.

So, I've written to the press office of the Save Darfur coaliton (Save Darfur Press Office
Office: 202-478-6174Email: press@savedarfur.org.)

We'll see what they say, but here's what I said:


Hello there,

I am a huge fan of the International Herald Tribune, fully owned by the New York Times, and now referred to since a few days as the Global Edition of the New York Times.

My goal is to keep them honest, because the IHT is my favourite newspaper.

I therefore run a blog about them called
www.ihtreaders.blogspot.com It has a small audience but certainly an influential one judging from my inbox in terms of European newspaper editors, journalists and of course senior IHT and NYT staff.

I'd like to follow up a recent post I made about the IHT's coverage of the joint presidential candidate statement that appeared in the NYT but did not appear in the IHT.

I've written about this at
http://ihtreaders.blogspot.com/2008/05/iht-four-star-edition-and-ap-or-is-nyt.html

What I would like to know is the following:

a) Did the NYT charge you for your full page advertisement?
b) If so what did they charge you?
c) If you paid to place an advert in the NYT for this statement, why did you elect not to place an advertisement in the IHT? Given the IHT is probably the most widely read newspaper in the world by global opinion formers, this seems odd. Were you not offered the opportunity, or was it a cost issue?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Ian Walthew

www.ianwalthew.com
www.aplaceintheauvergne.blogspot.com
www.ihtreaders.blogspot.com

No comments: