Tuesday 30 September 2008

Official complaint about IHT.com

This is rare, but I've had a gutful.

The way www.iht.com and www.nytimes.com is indexed is consistently error strewn. I know this because I look at the daily article index (tucked away at bottom of home page and by far the easiest way to scan the world and work out what's what).

On the daily article index I find, on a daily basis, the following problems:

a) Business stories in sports or vice versa
b) Wire stories run with pretty much exactly the same, or often more comprehensive information, than NYT correspondents' stories on exactly the same topic. Please iht.com/nytimes.com - pick one, the best, and if it's wires, go with it.
c) The same story run more than once under different headlines.

This is wasting my time, showing me that the editors of these .coms have a problem, shows a credibility problem and a preference for NYT stories over wire stories on the same topic when the wire story is sometimes better - in which case tell the NYT staffer to do a better job and thank you Reuters/AP whoever very much (most often Reuters).

Examples? Can't really be fagged to demonstrate it every day, nor every article even from one day of iht.com but let's take just one example to demonstrate what I am ranting about. (I'm ranting because it's wasting my time, fishing around badly headlined and structured websites.)

FROM TODAY'S DAILY ARTICLE INDEX AT IHT.COM


Daring to say loans made no sense
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/29/business/29carr.php

Simple questions unravel complexities of subprime crisis
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/09/29/business/carr.php

THESE ARE THE SAME ARTICLES AND I CAN FIND MULTIPLE EXAMPLES OF EITHER EXACTLY THE SAME ARTICLE (WITNESS ABOVE) OR SAME STORY COVERED BY MORE THAN ONE SOURCE, ONE SOURCE BEING THE BETTER OF THE TWO.




A PLACE IN THE AUVERGNE

International Herald Tribune
IHT
New York Times
NYT

Vacation /Business Trip Furnished Apartment in Paris

No comments: