Monday 21 January 2008

The Nano Car Story in the International Herald Tribune

Huge excitement the other day in the blogosphere about Tata's Nano car, but does anyone remember reading this in the International Herald Tribune story....

The making of the Nano
by Ratan Tata

It was never meant to be a Rs1-lakh car; that happened by circumstance. I was interviewed by the [British newspaper] Financial Times at the Geneva Motor Show and I talked about this future product as a low-cost car. I was asked how much it would cost and I said about Rs1 lakh. The next day the Financial Times had a headline to the effect that the Tatas are to produce a Rs100,000 car. My immediate reaction was to issue a rebuttal, to clarify that that was not exactly what I had said. Then I thought, I did say it would be around that figure, so why don't we just take that as a target. When I came back our people were aghast, but we had our goal.

http://carnewz.blogspot.com/2008/01/making-of-nano.html

It doesn't say much for FT reporting but it sure shows they have some influence.

No comments: